Motion Picture Industry Orientation and Exam
To acquire a certificate for the MPPIA Motion Picture Industry Orientation Course and Exam, you must attend the two-day course prior to taking the exam. Please follow the steps as outlined here.
Developed in partnership between Creative BC, MPPIA and industry labour organizations, this comprehensive, mandatory course provides you with the information you need to know before working on a film set. This orientation program is just one step in a series of courses or programs which will be required by the different associations, guilds and unions in order to make your entry into the motion picture/television industry.
MOTION PICTURE INDUSTRY ORIENTATION
This two-day instructor-led course is the prerequisite for the online Motion Picture Industry Orientation Exam administered by Actsafe Safety Association. Attend this course first before taking the online exam.
Course topics include the structure of the BC film industry, stages of production, industry jobs, set terminology, set etiquette, basic safety and communication skills.
- History of British Columbia’s motion picture industry and examines why the industry has been so successful
- Common phrases and expressions heard on a motion picture set
- Overview of the five stages of motion picture production
- Identify top industry expectations, and the benefits and challenges of working in the motion picture industry
- Examines the essential interpersonal, communication, and team skills required in the industry
- Introduces the fundamentals of developing and maintaining good community relations
- Dos and don’ts of behaviour while on and off a motion picture set
- Explains how to read a call sheet
- Outlines the basics of using a walkie talkie on set
- Provides an overview of the health and safety risks while working on set and examines employer and worker safety responsibilities
- Provides a list of job descriptions and unions found in the motion picture industry
You will only receive a certificate after completing the exam.
Course Delivery: Instructor-Led Virtual
Course Cost: $75 +GST
Course Duration: 4 hours/day for 2 consecutive days
Accessibility: ASL interpreters
Student Requirements (Virtual):
- A laptop or desktop computer to participate in the course using Zoom.
- A secondary device (mobile phone/tablet) is highly recommended for engaging in online/interactive activities during the course.
- A webcam is required to participate in this course.
Student Requirements (In-Person):
- Please bring a device with you to open the student manual so you can follow along in class.
- The manual will be added to your STAR profile once you have registered.
MOTION PICTURE INDUSTRY ORIENTATION EXAM
The Motion Picture Industry Orientation Exam will test the knowledge learned from the course. This is an open-book exam. You will have three chances to pass the exam with a grade of 80% or more. Register for the exam only after completing the course.
Accessing the Exam
A STAR profile was created for you. Please find an activation email from firstname.lastname@example.org to activate your profile. Contact us via 604-733-4682 or LiveChat if you cannot find the activation email. Once your STAR profile is activated and you are logged in, go to the “Store” tab to purchase the exam. If you completed the course with InFocus Film School, Capilano University, Langara College, or Vancouver film School, please allow at least 2 business days for administrative processing. If you have personally created a STAR profile, you may directly register for the exam.
Exam Delivery: Online
Exam Cost: $50 +GST
Exam Duration: 45 minutes
Once you have successfully completed this online exam, your certification will be automatically uploaded to your STAR profile.
If you encounter any difficulties while attempting the exam, please consider the following troubleshooting options:
- Clear the cache and history in your browser, log out, log back in, try the course again
- Update your device
- Update your browser
- Try an alternate up-to-date browser like FireFox or Google Chrome
- Try an alternate up-to-date device like a laptop, tablet, or phone
- Contact technical support at 1-866-416-1660