ACTSAFE INJURY PREVENTION 2018
November 5th – 9th, 2018
Get involved by attaching this memo to your production’s call-sheet
To celebrate Actsafe’s 20th year in the business of helping to keep workers safe, we’re launching a brand new injury prevention initiative, the Actsafe Injury Prevention Week (AIP Week.)
The goal of our annual event is to spread awareness of the leading causes of injury to BC’s motion picture industry workers and to provide shareable tips, tools and resources to help prevent these injuries.
Did you know?
Vehicles and working surfaces are the two leading sources of injuries in the motion picture, commercial and television industries.*
*data source: WorkSafeBC Industry Safety Information Centre, data collected 2013 – 2017
Every year we’ll focus on a different theme and the 2018 topic, Back Here, Safety Matters, highlights the hazards of material handling around trucks, namely loading and unloading.
Follow our hashtag #AIPWEEK2018
Take Action! This is your opportunity to take optimize your work culture. Why not incorporate our resources into your toolbox-talk, tailgate safety chat, or attach it to a call-sheet memo. Take extra steps to prevent injury on your production, ensure there are open channels of communication, provide safe equipment for workers or simply take 10 minutes of your day to consider the safety of yourself and those around you.
Tactics and Resources
Every day during AIP Week we’ll highlight a different topic within truck safety and release resources, tips and suggestions for you to share with your communities, colleagues and friends.
Make sure you can access and engage with our campaign via following channels;
- Following us on social media: Twitter and Facebook and using our hashtag #AIPWEEK2018 for contest, calendar and shareable resources
- Checking the AIP Week page (actsafe.ca/injury-prevention-week) for calendar and resources
- AIP Week kits (being delivered throughout AIP Week to all current productions filming in B.C.!)
Keep checking back here and through social media for the daily release of new resources on the topics below:
Safety Matters Topics Calendar:
Monday, Nov. 5th – Proper Footwear when Working around Vehicles
- Kick-off contest! For contest details, on Monday, Nov. 5th, head to @actsafe on Facebook and Twitter.
- Post about what you’re doing for #AIPWEEK2018 (this could be photo of your toolbox talk, your pledge to work safely around trucks, a photo of our billboard, or sharing any of our Facebook & Twitter posts.)
- We’ll put your name in our draw every time Facebook notifies us of your posts. The more you post the more chances you have to win!
- The winner will be announced in the November edition of our newsletter (entries close Friday, Nov. 9th at midnight. Subscribe to our newsletter here if you haven’t already.)
Read and share our safety bulletin Appropriate Clothing and Personal Protective Equipment.
The purpose of this bulletin is to:
- Provide supervisors with a guide for instructing employees in the selection of appropriate clothing and certain types of personal protective equipment.
- Guide employees as to what types of clothing and personal protective equipment are recommended for specific types of work being done
- Each employer shall assess their workplace to determine if hazards are present, or are likely to be present, which necessitate the use of personal protective equipment (PPE).
Tuesday, Nov. 6th – Signalling and Spotting of Vehicles
Complex driving manoeuvres require the use of a spotter for safety. The spotter’s responsibility is to direct the vehicle driver operator and alert them to obstructions in the vehicles path. For clear communication the spotter must maintain visual contact with the driver and use standard signals.
Here are the standard hand signals in a handy wallet sized card. You’ll find printed copies of the card in your AIP Week kit (ask your PC about them.) If you’d like more cards, contact us firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll provide you with some!
Check out Safety Driven’s video for detailed guiding. Don’t forget to share this with your crew. With thanks to @SafetyDrivenBritishColumbia for use of their materials!
Wednesday, Nov. 7th – Truck Levelling and Chock Blocks
Actsafe’s Wheel Chock Info Sheet is intended to give information relating to the use of wheel chocks to assist in securing vehicles while they are parked. This sheet contains regulatory requirements, what NOT to use to chock your wheels, and a checklist to help ensure you’ve covered everything.
Thursday, Nov. 8th – Lift Gate Use
Today’s focus is on lift-gate use. Do you know how to use a lift gate properly? Our video offers some guidance.
With thanks to @simcomplete for providing the truck, equipment and location for our video.
Friday, Nov. 9th – Loading and Unloading of Work Trucks
Do you know how to load and unload production equipment safely? As well as yesterday’s video, our other short videos will provide you with some pointers on lifting so you don’t become a statistic;
The golf lift – proper lifting technique.
The bag lift – proper lifting techniques.
With thanks to @simcomplete for providing the truck, equipment and location for our videos.
These aren’t just trucks, these are workplaces. Take a few moments during AIP Week week to consider your safety and that of your fellow workers.
We all have a role to play. This is your opportunity to take action and optimize your work culture. Together let’s shift the behaviour of workers, supervisors, employers and equipment suppliers to reduce and eliminate preventable truck-related injuries.