To read the full document, and to print, click here (137 KB).
This fact sheet provides safety information related to working with hand tools, power tools, and explosive-actuated fastening tools in order to ensure accident prevention.
- Be aware of and follow all Municipal, Provincial and Federal codes, ordinances and regulations.
- Inspect all equipment before using.
- Keep all equipment in good repair.
- DO NOT REMOVE machine guards.
- Wear/use approved protective equipment at all times
- Remove rings, watches and loose clothing; suitably confine long hair.
- Inspect work area for unsafe conditions. Where needed eliminate or substitute.
- Keep work areas in a clean and safe condition.
- Follow all lockout/tag-out procedures as required.
- Hold regular Safety Meetings and Toolbox talks on topics such as new equipment, procedures, policies, or orientations.
- Keep all hand tools clean, in good repair.
- Use all hand tools for the purpose for which they were intended (i.e. a screwdriver is not a chisel and vice versa).
- Do not carry sharp/pointed objects in pockets.
- Secure all tools when working at heights.
- Make all adjustments and tighten all locking devices before attaching tool to power supply.
- Make sure tool is switched off before connecting to power supply.
- Use a grounded outlet, grounded extention cords, and/or a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter.
- Always use fence/guide, push-stick, appropriately.
- Maintain appropriate safety margin between cutting edge and hands.
- Keep blades/bits etc sharp.
- Keep the tool and surrounding work area in a clean and safe condition.
- Follow manufacturuer’s maintenance instructions.
- Handle all air-actuated devices with extreme caution.
- Inspect tool and electrical cords.
EXPLOSIVE-ACTUATED FASTENING TOOLS
- The most impportant factor in achieving safe, satisfactory use of explosive-actuated fastening systems is operator training. Only trained and competent operators shall use explosive-actuated tools.
- All operators shall wear appropriate PPE (eye and ear protection and/or face shields).
- The latest edition of the Use the Canadian Standards Association Standard series Z166-M85 and any additional or Amendment thereto shall be used as a guide for the safe operation and maintenance of explosive-actuated tools.