Live Performance Electrical Certification
Prior to the development of the LPEC, while electrical safety in live performance required certification, there was not an appropriate certification in existence. The LPEC has been developed to close that gap, thereby reducing potential health and safety risks and issues related to liability.
Workers who obtain an LPEC will become certified to do work that falls under the scope of the LPEC, as listed below. Electrical certifications fall under Technical Safety BC, and the legislation that applies to this certification can be found in the Safety Standards Act, Electrical Safety Regulations, Division 1, Section 4, Subsection 2C.
Applicants must demonstrate and document 800 hours of practical experience in their application to be eligible to write the exam. Successful applicants will be sent an email with instructions to access the exam.
- Set up temporary, plug-in electrical systems used in Performing Arts, trade shows, conventions, touring shows and festivals.
- Utilize existing fault-protected electrical systems.
- Interconnect plug and cap assemblies and branch circuits.
- Set-up and interconnect XLR, 3, 4 and 5 pin cables, telex cable, coaxial, cat-5 and A/V cable.
- Service equipment under manufacturer’s documented recommendations and instructions.
- Supervise a maximum of two uncertified workers on work within the LPEC scope.
Who Should Apply?
Workers in the performing arts and live events industry.
A digital certificate will be uploaded to the participant’s STAR profile upon the successful completion of the exam.
- Actsafe created a Candidate Study Guide for the LPEC exam readily available for you to download.
- Candidates are recommended to download Technical Safety BC’s Letter of Recognition of the LPEC Certification and print it out for their records.
- If you are in a post-secondary program and would like to get credit for your hours, download Actsafe’s Record of Electrical Experience form.
NOTE: We are currently testing a new application process for the Live Performance Electrical Certification. If you have any feedback or questions, please contact us at email@example.com.